All right, folks. Here it is: what I’d like to see in one, massive “Ultimate Edition” boxed set for Revenge of the Sith (read what I’d like for A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, and Attack of the Clones). Enjoy!
- Revenge of the Sith: The Archival Edition – The original edit of the film taken directly from the HD master.
- Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith - This would be the “definitive” special edition of the film, with new special effects, restored scenes, etc. As with the Archival Edition, it would be direct from the HD master (like Episode II, RotS was shot digitally), in the highest resolution possible, and with correct color timing. Here is the list of changes I would like to see:
- Expand the opening space battle above Coruscant.
- Remove the bit with the buzz droids on Obi-Wan and Anakin’s starfighters (I mean, c’mon, couldn’t they use the Force to just flick the things off of their ships?).
- Restore the deleted scene of Shaak Ti being executed by General Grievous, but replace Shaak Ti with another Jedi.
- Restore Anakin and Obi-Wan escaping the battle droids through the fuel tank.
- Restore any deleted elements from the duel with Count Dooku.
- Restore the “formation of the Rebel Alliance” subplot and the three deleted scenes associated with it.
- Expand the Order 66 montage to show more Jedi being ambushed.
- Move the Yoda vs. Sidious duel to immediately after Obi-Wan departs to confront Anakin and keep it as one, singular event (no cutting away to other events. This way, Sidious’ “I sense Lord Vader may be in danger” is said before Obi-Wan fights him).
- Let the duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin play out as one, long, continuous lightsaber battle.
- Restore the dialogue scene between Yoda and the spirit of Qui-Gon Jinn. Add additional dialogue to explain why Yoda would choose to hide on Dagobah of all places (again, I feel this should be addressed in-movie, even if it angers EU enthusiasts).
- Change the medical droid’s dialogue on Polis Massa to remove the “She’s lost the will to live” line (really? A mother wouldn’t have the will to live to protect her newborn babies?).
- Restore the scene of Yoda landing on Dagobah during the closing montage.
- Revenge of the Sith 3D – The theatrical 3D version of the film (with a 2D option for those that wish to view it this way).
- Multiple audio commentaries for both the Archival and Ultimate Editions, featuring the filmmakers, the actors, and the special effects crews that created the movie.
- Deleted and/or alternate scenes of the original film, including any which were upgraded/replaced by the Ultimate Edition.
- The Sith’s Revenge – A new, Empire of Dreams-style documentary following the development of Revenge of the Sith from concept to completion.
- Hayden Christenson, Natalie Portman, and Ewan MacGregor – Biography featurettes on the actors who portrayed Anakin Skywalker, Natalie Portman, and Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- The Saga is Now Complete – A documentary on the closing of the Star Wars theatrical film saga after a 28 year span which examines the cultural, historical, and technological impact of all the films, including interviews with cast, crew, celebrities and fans.
- John Williams – A documentary on the man who composed the scores for all of the Star Wars films and the music he produced as a result.
- Updating Sith – A new documentary covering the work that went into the making of Ultimate Edition.
- Trailers and television promotions.
- Stills gallery featuring behind the scenes and promotional images, as well as merchandising images.
- Vintage documentaries, interviews, and news coverage
You’d think that after all six movies, I’d be done with these Ultimate Edition Wishlists. You’d be wrong! Stay tuned next week for a final, bonus installment!
PHOTO SOURCE: Secura vs. Grievous